Frequently Asked Questions
Are you paid as a Police Officer Recruit while attending the Police Academy?
Yes. If you are hired and need to attend the Police Academy we will send you to the Law Enforcement Training Institute at the University of Missouri (LETI). While attending LETI you receive a bi-weekly salary and health benefits.
Do you currently have a policy regarding tattoos for police officers?
1. Tattoos or brands anywhere on the head, face, and neck above the class A uniform collar are prohibited.
2. Tattoos or brands that are extremist, indecent, sexist, or racist are prohibited, regardless of location on the body, as they are prejudicial to good order and discipline within the department.
What are the policies regarding facial hair for male police officers?
1. Males will keep their face clean-shaven when in uniform.
2. Mustaches are permitted. If worn, males will keep mustaches neatly trimmed, tapered, and tidy. Mustaches will not cover the upper lip line or extend sideways beyond a vertical line drawn upward from the corners of the mouth.
3. Handlebar mustaches, goatees, and beards are not authorized.
4. Males will keep sideburns neatly trimmed. Sideburns may not be flared; the base of the sideburn will be a clean-shaven, horizontal line. Sideburns will not extend below the lowest part of the exterior ear opening.
Where is the police department located?
401 Monroe Street
How long is the Academy?
16 weeks with over 600 hours of instruction. More information can be found by Clicking Here.
What are officers work schedules?
Officers work 10 hours days having every other weekend off. Our duty shcedule is:
3 on - 4 off - 5 on - 2 off
When am I eligible to go to a specialty unit?
Each specialty unit has different requirements, but most allow you to test after 2 -3 years as a patrol officer.
Do I have to live in Jefferson City, or can I live in another city?
No. You can live anywhere within 25 air miles of the City Limits and must have the ability to respond to work if called within 30 minutes. Click Here for a radius map.
Does the department offer any tuition reimbursement?
The City of Jefferson does offer tuition reimbursement.
Employees requesting financial aid under the tuition reimbursement program must have passed the introductory period prior to requesting, and complete a request form and have it approved prior to attending the class. Failure to obtain prior approval will prevent any reimbursement from occurring.
Coursework must be through an “accredited” college or university.
Courses must be taken on the employees own initiative outside of working hours.
Prior to reimbursement being paid, the employee shall provide a verified official transcript indicating that a grade of B or better was obtained for all courses.
How long is the Field Training Officer (FTO) Program?
The Field Training Program is divided into four (4) phases, encompassing a period of seventeen (17) weeks, and commences following a one (1) week orientation period or upon the recruit officer’s graduation from a police academy.